Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Well Traveled Scarf


There are so many aspects and stories surrounding our trip I feel bad singling out one. However I feel the need to relate the end of a story that started in Villa Real and ended this month in Raleigh.

As part of our tour one day we were experiencing sweets, enjoying the farmers' market, and shopping. Now anyone who knows me knows I am not much of a shopper however when you are visiting another country you are always looking for something to bring back to friends and family at home. Usually I do not buy things for myself (the pictures are my memories and present to me), but this day I couldn't help it.

We started to walk by a shop that was having an incredible sale. When I looked more closely I realized it was a yarn store. I love to knit. So much so that I knitted a scarf on the way to Portugal, one while we were in Portugal, and another on the way back. Just about everyone on the trip knew of my hobby (or perhaps obsession) and did not seem to mind stopping for a moment as I gawked at all the yarn. Harriet Edwards joined me and tried to help me narrow down the possibilities. I started with a navy yarn, and Harriett picked out a white yarn with green ribbon weaved through it. 4-H colors of course. We talked about the uses for it and decided that it would be great to knit an item for the State Volunteer Leaders' Association auction. So I quickly purchased the two items in hopes of not holding up the group any longer and secretly hoped to return and shop until my heart was content.


I packed the 4-H yarn (as I have been referring to it ever since) and placed it on the top of my yarn pile at home. Finally I came up with a scarf pattern and adjusted it until I knitted a scarf that I was happy with. The item went to auction at the state 4-H Volunteer Leaders' Conference earlier this month. After explaining the story behind the 4-H yarn and talking about all the miles it had travelled the bidding started. At the end of the bidding the scarf raised $35 for the association and I got to share another wonderful experience from Portugal with our 4-H family.

1 comment:

Linda said...

The scarf was beautiful...you are awesome...thanks for the donation!
Life hasn't been the same since our trip...I hope to see everyone again soon. I'm fine! Linda